Monday 4 April 2011

If you walk through the garden...

March is over and we're 3 months in to the year; time for a brief update.

I failed to meet my target of 1000 games played during the month (again). I had a few things going on in real life, but more importantly I struggled with motivation for the first time this month. When I dreamed of playing poker for a living I imagined that playing all day every day would be the easiest thing in the world. It isn't. Concentrating for extended periods, consistently playing my A game and dealing with the emotional and financial swings is all mentally draining. Therefore putting in 30+ hours a week mass multi-tabling is harder than I expected. However, it's a lot easier that the job I used to do. Every time 6:45am rolls around on a Monday morning I remember how much happier and better off I am now that I was in my old job. Mike Caro says that the two hardest challenges a poker play faces are:

1. Motivation
2. The feeling that you aren't really achieving anything

March has shown me that I need to more pro-active about the first issue. I look forward to the second issue surfacing down the line...

On a more positive note March was my best month so far at the tables. Moving forward my goal is to (you guessed it) play 1000 games in April and also to increase my average stake my mixing in more higher stakes games. While this will increase my short-term variance it should also improve my long-term results.

In other news I finally got round to watching season 1 of The Wire, which my brother bought me for Christmas. It is scarily good, and my fiance and I enjoyed it so much we ordered season 2 the day we finished season 1. Highly recommended!

Time to head to the gym. Good luck in April.

March Profit: +$5167

Yearly Profit: +$12,601
Yearly VPPs: 39,339

No comments:

Post a Comment