Saturday 5 March 2011

Fitter Happier

If you've ever worked long hours in a demanding job then you'll know that it's easy to form some bad habits. I know I did. Fast food at lunch time, drinks after work every Friday, and just enough energy to put that ready meal in the microwave before slumping in front of the TV. Playing Poker professionally has afforded me the opportunity to change some of those habits, and I'm now regularly working out at the gym, playing sports again for the first time in years and eating a healthy, balanced diet. The effects have been dramatic. Personally I'm happier and more content than I have been in a very long time, and the benefits of that extend to my fiance, my family and my friends - many of whom have commented on a remarkable change in my temperament in the last couple of months.

At the same time, my persective on many aspects of poker is evolving. My perception of the luck and skill involved in the game is really changing now that I'm putting in so much more volume than I ever have before. Perhaps more importantly, my own ambitions are evolving. Initially my only concrete aim when going pro was to prove I could make a living from this and find out whether I enjoyed it. Now I begin to wonder whether I may be able to achieve more. Personally I believe that SNG poker has a limited shelf life, and I hope to nake as much hay as possible while the sun's shining. I therefore think it's very important to continue to push myself to improve as a player and challenge myself to play higher stakes, and more tables. Got to keep getting outside of that comfort zone! Otherwise I'd still be one tabling $5 SNGs...

I've been thinking a lot about longer term goals, but haven't come to any concrete conclusions yet. For now my aim is to focus on improving my multitabling and hitting that 1000 game target in March. February was a mixed bag of variance and I'm currently about $3k under all-in EV for the year. However, I'm not sure how much I can really read in to that and I'm certainly not complaining. In fact it gives me some peace of mind that hopefully my results so far this year have not been a fluke!


February Profit: +$2698

Yearly Profit:  +$7,434
Yearly VPPs: 26,550

No comments:

Post a Comment